Safety Analysis of Nuclear Reactor Systems
Assignments and Teaching Assistants
Assignments will account for 40 percent of the final grade.
Two midterm tests and one final test are scheduled.
Each will account for 20 percent of the final grade for a total of 60 percent of the final grade.
Assignments, quizzes (unannounced), final project, 40 percent.
Undergraduates: 3 hours of credit.
Graduates: 3 hours, 1 hour for advanced term paper or project, for a total of 4 hours of credit.
Calendar for Fall Semester 2018
100H Talbot Laboratory
3:00-3:50 pm, MWF
|Instruction Begins||Monday, August 27|
|Monday, September 3 (no classes)|
|Saturday, November 17, 1 p.m.|
|Monday, November 26, 7 a.m.|
|Wednesday, December 12|
|Thursday, December 13|
Final Examinations Begin
|Friday, December 14|
Final Examinations to be conducted on
|Saturday, December 15|
|Final Examinations End||Thursday, December 20|
Wednesday, October 3, during class period.
Friday, November 2, during class period.
Wednesday December 12, 3:00-3:50, during class period, (last day of classes)
PROBABILISTIC, POSSIBILISTIC AND DETERMINISTIC SAFETY ANALYSIS
2. Natural Disasters and Man Made Accidents
3. Safety Definitions and Terminology
4. Accidents Occurrence
5. Risk Quantification
6. Incidence and Likelihood Risk and Safety Indices
7. The Risk Assessment Methodology
8. Risk and Safety Ethics
9. The Source Term
10. Environmental Remediation of Radioactive Contamination
11. Decay Heat Generation in Fission Reactors
12. Cost Effectiveness Analysis
13. Boolean Algebra
14. Fuzzy de Morgan Algebra
15. Probabilistic and Possibilistic Fault Tree Analysis
16. Event Tree Analysis
17. Random Numbers Generation
18. Direct Simulation or Analog Monte Carlo
19. Sampling Methods
20. Sampling Special Distributions
21. Fluid Mechanics Equations
22. Safety Computational Fluid Dynamics
23. Loss of Coolant Accident, LOCA
24. Debris Bed Cooling
25. Steam Explosions
26. Clad Ballooning Accident
27. China Syndrome
28. Containment Structures
29. Safety Aspects of Gas Cooled Reactors
30. Heavy Water Reactors Safety
31. Liquid Metal Reactors Postulated Accidents
32. Autonomous Battery Reactors
33. Fourth Generation Reactor Concepts
34. Inherently Safe Reactor Designs
35. The Three Mile Island Accident
36. Chernobyl Accident
37. Experimental Breeder Reactor Number I, EBR I Criticality Accident
38. Stationary Low Power Plant Number 1, SL-1 Accident
39. Sodium-Graphite Reactor Experiment, SRE incident
40. Windscale Accident
41. Fermi 1 Fuel Meltdown Incident
42. Steam Generator Leakage at the BN-350 Desalination Plant
43. Browns Ferry Fire
44. Earthquake Safety
44. Fukushima Earthquake and Tsunami Station Blackout Accident
45. Global Climatic Variation and Energy Use
46. Solar Storms Effects on Nuclear and Electrical Installations
I. Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse
II. Procedure to generate a decay curve, decay.f90
III. Procedure to compute decay heat power and energy release, decayheat.f90
IV. Fault tree analysis code, sample14.f90
VI. Input file to sample14 program, insamp14.txt
VI. The Panic Over Fukushima
Related Courses Information
Please contact Prof. M. Ragheb as a Webmaster at: (217)333-6569 with any feedback concerning this page.
Last update for this page was on 12/9/2018.